The Government of Ontario has passed a private member’s Bill designed to protect children with severe, and potentially fatal, allergies to food.
Bill 3, otherwise known as Sabrina’s Law, was named after 13-year-old Sabrina Shannon. She died in September 2003, after eating lunch at her school cafeteria. She had a known, severe food allergy.
Sabrina had an EpiPen (an emergency needle containing a life-saving dose of epinephrine) but it was not accessed in time to save her life. Sabrina died from the effects of anaphylactic shock.
Bill 3 will ensure teachers and students can effectively respond when someone goes into anaphylactic shock. It became enforceable on January 1, 2006.